Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Friday, August 16, 2013

U-Jam Certification—Day 1

I'm exhausted. It's 5 p.m., and I just finished the first day of certification for U-Jam fitness (I've been here since 8 a.m.). I have to say, I'm a little nervous about this.

Today we started with a master class, had some lectures about fitness, teaching, and U-Jam, and learned two choreographies and practiced cueing techniques.

My main hesitation about teaching this format is that I don't know if my poor little brain can handle more choreography. A big difference about U-Jam and Zumba is that in U-Jam you are only allowed to use U-Jam choreography...and it has to be done exactly as given. I feel pretty invested in Zumba (since I already teach 3 formats of that program—basic, toning, and kids), and this is just adding another thing to my plate. I think I'm a little overwhelmed by that.

This workshop is just one step to getting the certification. Potential instructors also have to 1) have valid AFAA or ACE membership (check!), 2) submit a video presentation teaching 3 choreographies to at least 5 participants, receive a pass on that, receive official U-Jam credentials, and sign agreements about abiding by the program and what not.

At this but it all seems daunting, but I really do like everything about the program. It's super fun and I can totally see it taking off in this area. (There are only 3 instructors in Utah right now). I think I'll be more confident when I'm a little further along.

For now, I need to go home, eat, rest, review the instructor training manual, and practice cueing a choreography. First thing tomorrow, we have a test and practical test where we have to lead a song with all the required cues. Then we cover more material and learn 2 additional choreographies.

Another factor that intimidates me is that I've only done two, maybe three, U-Jam classes ever. With Zumba I had three years of going to 4-5 classes a week before I got certified. The process is much easier with certifying as a Zumba instructor PLUS I was way more familiar with the format. (Oh, and did I mention I'm on the schedule to start teaching this format within the next month?? heheh...)

At the end of class, our cheer was "I can do this." I'm going to have to repeat that to myself a lot tonight.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I came across your blog while googling on certification in UJAM. I just started taking the UJAM class and I'm excited about learning all the fun dance routines. You're probably a UJAM teacher by now. I'm just taking it for fun, but maybe in the future, I'll try out, then I thought, I'm not that young anymore. I just turned 52 yrs old - yikes!!! Anyway, I'm writing to you to let you know that I enjoyed your Ujam post, but also to let you know that your SUBSCRIBE link is not working. I don't know how I will find you again once I leave your page. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiw do the fees for UJAM compare to Zumba fees. I am working in becoming a fitness instructor and I started adding up all the subscription fees. It is starting to seem it would cost more to be an instructor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiw do the fees for UJAM compare to Zumba fees. I am working in becoming a fitness instructor and I started adding up all the subscription fees. It is starting to seem it would cost more to be an instructor.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin