Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Saturday, August 10, 2013

CPR Training for AFAA—Check!

Today I completed the last step required for my AFAA certification—passing the CPR training. If I had had the opportunity to do this BEFORE my AFAA workshop, I would have. I just didn't have the time and couldn't find one with a date that worked for my schedule. But AFAA allows you to send in a copy of your CPR card after the fact. (You just have to provide this before anything is finalized.) Remember that AFAA does not accept ANY online CPR programs.
Do you notice the change?

I had a great experience and would definitely recommend the route of attending a small training, if the option is available.

Here in Utah, we have a Facebook group for all the Zumba instructors in the state. One instructor has a sister who hosts CPR trainings and has just started offering the class every month with a special discount for fitness professionals.

Only two of us attended today, so we received a lot of individual attention, a relaxed atmosphere, ability to ask any questions we want, and were able to finish up in about an hour.

Typical classes are 3-4 hours, so I love the time-saving option. AFAA provides a list of classes through large organizations, but I'd definitely check with your facility or local organizations to find classes.

You'll cover a set of material and at the end you do a test demonstration to show that you understand the information.

During this test, we needed to make sure the scene is safe, check to see if you can wake them (i.e. that they actually do need CPR), assign someone to call 9-1-1, preform 30 chest compressions while counting aloud (in the right spot, with enough force, at a quick speed), adjust victim's airway and indicate 2 breaths (by counting), and preform 5 more chest compressions.

<-- Oh, hey that's me! Just kidding. But it could be. The practice mannequins we used would make a clicking sound when we pressed deep enough (about 2 inches for an average-sized person) and click after the recoil to indicate the expansion.

I had to press fairly hard and can actually feel a little soreness in my hand. I can only image how exhausting CPR is when you have to do it for an extended period of time. I hope to never find myself in that situation.

Click for article about AEDs.
In the course, we learned how to place our hands, where to place them, how quickly to go (sing along to Stayin' Alive), the cycle CAB (compression, airway, breath, repeat), how to have two people and/or three people preforming CPR, the adjustments need for CPR on an infant, how to take charge and be the leader in an emergency situation, and how to use an AED machine.

Since only two of us were at this training, we made great time and got great feedback as we were learning and going through the information. After we both successfully preformed our demonstration (or test), we summed up everything again and got our cards! The process was simple, and I came away with great information I'm glad to now have. Again, I just hope I never have to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin