Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Friday, August 30, 2013

Do you agree with what other's think about you?

I've been thinking more about my Motivation Monday quote this week: "Stop defining who you aren't. Start being who you are." And I had some new thoughts about recent events in my life.

A couple weeks ago I met with the supervisor over the fitness classes and talked about our strengths, weaknesses, goals, and general thoughts about how things are going. 

Guess what she listed as one of my strengths? 

My fun, bubbly personality that creates an enjoyable class and allows me to connect with the people.

To give this topic some context, I have to first tell you that maybe 3 years ago I had an ongoing debate with a friend about which was the most bubbly. I insisted she was. And we may have polled everyone we both knew. In the end, I solicited enough votes for HER bubbly personality, and the issue was settled.

Since then I've proceeded to insist that I am NOT a bubbly person. And I continue to embrace my natural (comfortable) introvert personality.

A couple weeks ago I found this little quote on Instagram. It screams "Karianne,"although I'd probably change it to the following:

"Strangers think I'm quiet. Acquaintances think I'm outgoing (bubbly). Friends understand I'm completely insane." 
(My reasoning for these changes is that people think I'm bubbly way before I'd consider them friends. And far more than the couple best friends I've had in my life know I'm kinda crazy. Yes, I'm a word person, and those words make a difference.)

The point is that if other people SEE this quality in me, why do I refuse to accept it? Why don't I embrace this quality (it's a good one) and work towards developing it more? Can I stop defining who I THINK I'm NOT? Or can I just start being ME? 

It's something to think about. Take a minute and think what others see in you that you might not *initially* agree with. And what qualities do you see in others? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin