Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Friday, August 2, 2013

A Netflix Recommendation: Life Unexpected

Don't you love it when you find something new that you love on Netflix? 

Most of the time, I feel that I can't find much of anything new and worthwhile to watch—which makes new finds all the more exciting. :) This two season series features some actors I love, and features some great music. (As I got further through the series, you can see the connections to One Tree Hill, which was also known for music, and there's a crossover episode.)

Speaking of Netflix, have you heard the latest news that Netflix is allowing every account to have up to 5 viewing profiles? So if you want to use one profile for your kids, one for you, one for your spouse, and one for your sister living across the country and mooching off your Netflix purchase (thank you Ruthie!), your viewing schedules and recommendations will no longer conflict. Cool beans.

Life Unexpected
Summary: Set in Portland, the story follows Lux Cassidy, a teenager who was given up at birth and has spent her life in foster care. Lux sets out to find her birth parents for signatures to become emancipated and is instead given into their joint custody.

Lux, the 16 year old teen, is played by Britt Robertson. I know her from Dan in Real Life and the ever-memorable line—"Murderer of love!" You can't forget that moment, which is perhaps one of the best of the movie.

Cate, the biological mother, is played by Shiri Appleby, whom I first say in the web series "Dating Rules From My Future Self." I may also love her character's hipster glasses.

Erin Karplunk has a small role, but it reminds me how much I loved the Canadian series she starred in called Becoming Erica, which is available on Hulu. I'd also suggest checking that show out if you are looking for something new.

And let's not forget the leading men: Kristoffer Polaha, Kerr Smith, and even Austin Basis. I hadn't seen any of these actors before this show, but of course, they've all won me over, including the nerdy, best friend sidekick.

Overall, the show shares the story of these 32-year-olds who get their 16-year-old daughter back into their lives. There are ups and downs. There is, of course, a love triangle. And there are struggles and mistakes as the parents learn to be parents and as Lux learns what it's like to have people care about her. Oh, and they use great music in the episodes.

    



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin