Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Friday, August 9, 2013

Challenge: Talk to Your Fitness Instructor

I've always been a fan of fitness classes at the gym. When I joined a gym during college, I felt right at home in those classes after spending years in dance studios and dance classes. However, my introverted self typically wants to go in, keep to myself, have a great workout, and leave. I don't want to be "noticed," make gym friends, or draw any particular attention to myself.

This image is from RateYourBurn.com from the article listed below.
My perspective has changed a little bit since becoming an instructor myself. Yes, I see those people who come in obviously ready to just do their thing. And that's fine. (My favorites are the people who make sure to keep a straight face no matter what's going on.)

I didn't teach any classes today so after working on some projects this morning, I attended a Zumba Sentao (Zumba flavor + chair) class and then a yoga class. I know both of these instructors, and it's fun taking a class from someone you know and chatting with the instructors before and after class.

The nice thing is that I know these instructors outside of the fitness class. Then when I go to class, the atmosphere is even more comfortable. It's fun. It's exercise. It's socializing in disguise. And heaven knows I need to disguise my socializing.

I'm not saying that I will always go out of my way to become buddy buddy with instructors when I go to a new facility (one I don't teach at). But I can even more relate to this excerpt from the article "31 Ways to Win at Group Fitness." And, yes, this is listed as No. 1.

1. Acknowledge the person up there.
...because she is a human, not a fitness robot. Say hello (and mean it!) and if you're a newbie, definitely introduce yourself. When you leave, "bye" and "thank you" are a nice touch too.
Anyways, just a thought. Try it and see how it feels. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin