Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Happy Left-Handers' Day!

While checking my e-mails early this morning, I saw this notice at the bottom of Hungry Girl's daily newsletter.

It reads: "Chew on this: Did you know that today, August 13th, is Left-Handers' Day? CHALLENGE: If you're a righty, eat everything using your left hand all day long. DO IT!"

Well, turns out Hungry Girl is actually a lefty herself. Actually you can almost ALWAYS tell when someone is left-handed because 1) they notice when other people are left-handed and 2) they care about things like Left-Handers' Day. 

If you haven't guessed already (and didn't already know), I am a proud lefty myself. Part of my pride undoubtedly comes from my never-ending desire to do my own thing (see my anti-conforming post). Even though I had no choice in the matter, I take pride in the fact that only 10-12 percent of people are lefties. And I'm one of them. 

After learning of Left-Handers Day, I headed to the Left Handers' Day website and ended up taking the survey there about what hand I use for various tasks. The image here shows my results. The interesting thing about lefties is that we don't always use our left hand for basic activities. In kindergarten my art teacher would ask anyone who is left-handed to raise their hand. Being a proud lefty, I'd raise mine. But then she'd give me lefty scissors. But I don't cut with my left hand. I also usually play sports prominently with my right hand, i.e. throwing a ball, swinging a bat, etc. Sometimes, however, I have to switch things up to figure out where I'm more comfortable. For example, the first time I played tennis (last year), I had to switch my racket from the left hand to the right hand until one felt more comfortable. 
It's interesting because studies show that lefties are more able to adapt to using the right hand for activities than the other way around. (See facts below.) And that's probably because we lefties are always exposed to and have to adapt to the right-handed way in the world. Think scissors, three-ring binds, spiral notebooks, computer mice, classroom desks, measuring cups, can openers, credit card machine pens (these are the worst!). Check out Buzzfeed's "The 18 Worst Things for Left-handed People."

Here are some additionally interesting facts about left-handedness (from RandomFacts).
  • Studies have shown that if a left-hander injures his dominant hand, he has an easier time learning to use the other hand than his right-handed counterparts.
  • Both the Jewish and Christian traditions are strongly right-handed in their nature and practices. For Catholics, Anglicans, Episcopalians, and other denominations, the priest must present the communion wafer with the right hand, and the communicant accepts it with the right hand. All benedictions must be made with the right hand, and a priest symbolizes the “strong right hand of God.”
  • Although approximately 90% of all humans are right-handed,cats, rats, and mice that show handedness seem to be equally split between right- and left-pawedness.
  • Connections between the right and left sides of the brain are faster in left-handed people. This means information is transferred faster, making left-handers more efficient in dealing with multiple stimuli and using both sides of the brain more easily.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin