Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Thursday, August 8, 2013

My Decision to Quit My Full-Time Job—Part 1

Recap: I left my full-time job at the end of June 2013 to pursue my dream and goal to start my own business. Check out my post introducing Annesali here

Although I officially made the decision to quit my full-time job in June, the shift going towards that decision started months beforehand. I've already spoken to several people about how and why I made and prepared for this lovely adventure of mine, and I want to share all that information here.

I probably started thinking about moving on in October or November of 2012. I loved my job and the people I worked with but am the type of person who wants to continue to challenge myself and pursue new experiences. As I thought about what I'm passionate about or some of the jobs and opportunities I want to pursue at some point in my life, I realized I was holding myself back from those things.

What are "those things?" Teach journalism. Teach publication design. Teach business communication. Become the next Grammar Girl. Start my own business (HS2College and Annesali). Work with high school students. Speak at a conference. Become a subject expert. Build a name for myself. Earn an MBA. To name a few...

Oh yes. "Earn an MBA."

This option has come up periodically during the last few years. I really do want to have another degree, but it's also something that requires a huge investment of two years and a bit of money as well. I have actually already applied to BYU's program when I desperately needed to leave my last job in 2010ish. I applied VERY LATE in the application process (it's a rolling admissions program) and only was invited in for an interview because I had such a strong application and—this I'm proud of—what my interviewer called the best personal statement essay he'd ever read. Unfortunately at the time, they had already filled all of the openings for the upcoming school year, but I did receive automatic admission for the following year.

Shortly after hearing that news, I still went ahead and worked up the courage to leave my job at a publishing company. At this point, I had been applying for a variety of jobs and pursuing different opportunities. The company culture at that company was not a good fit for me, and staying there was proving to be very toxic for my life. (Think tears of stress and distress every. single. day.) However, I didn't have a clear picture of what to do.

But I quit my job.

Not knowing what I was going to do.

This was my first time actually quitting a job. And it terrified me.

I was still actively applying for positions but decided I could pursue my entrepreneurial dreams if nothing worked out.

The day I put in my notice (two weeks) was actually the same day I applied for the next position I'd accept. I had two weeks of "unemployment"while I interviewed for several positions and ended up with two appealing offers.

Three years later, I again decided to go for my MBA. I started my applications. I asked for recommendations. I started studying for the GMAT again. (I wanted to improve my math to better qualify for some awesome scholarships.)

And that's when I realized pursuing the MBA was the "safe" option for me.

Stay tuned for Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin