Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

My Popsicle Experiment Roundup

I can't believe I posted "Let's Make Popsicles" at the end of July, and it's already the middle of September. Time sure does fly! I have actually tried making three types of popsicles since then and am excited to share the results.

1. Gummy Bear Surprise Popsicles
I love gummy bears—like seriously, I could eat them all day long..if only they had any nutritional value. Sooo, when I found this little recipe in the midst of the online world, I knew it was something I'd have to try. Actually, I didn't think that it would taste like anything. Sprite doesn't have much flavor. And gummy bears don't have much taste either. So why would the combo create anything tasty? My friend wanted to try it with Sour Patch Kids and that was actually the best combo. I guess a little (or a lot of)  extra sugar can go a long way. I'd suggest maybe a little extra flavoring (crystal light esque) or additional sweetener of some kind

Ingredients: Gummy bears or Sour Patch Kids, Sprite (I used Sprite Zero as I don't like having calories from soda), additional flavoring (optional).

Directions: Place candy pieces into the molds. Pour Sprite over them until the mold is a little more than 3/4 full. Frozen stuff expands folks. Then place the molds into the freezer.
  

I would love to make these for a bunch of kids. I'm sure they'd love it. The gummy bears got a little soft when frozen, while the Sour Patch Kids got a little harder.

2. Watermelon Delight Popsicles 
I made these popsicles using the same Sprite from the Gummer Bear Surprise as well as some of the frozen watermelon I had stored in my freezer. I realized I'm not a huge fan of the concentrated watermelon flavor that this produced. I did add some sweetener but think I'm also going to try either a little additional flavoring or strawberries to mellow and balance the flavors.

Ingredients: Watermelon (mine was frozen), Sprite Zero, additional flavoring/sweetener as needed, Strawberries (recommended)

Directions: Blend watermelon and Sprite. If adding strawberries, add and blend. Taste and add additional items as needed per your taste. Freeze. 

3. Blueberry Yogurt Popsicles
The RECIPE's CREAMIES
My Blueberry Yogurt Popsicle
These are perhaps the popsicles I was most excited to make. I LOVE the Weight Watchers Strawberry Smoothie Yogurt Bars and desperately wanted to try making my own. Cuz ya'll, that stuff can be expensive. But you should take note of the look of MY popsicle and the look of the original recipe's popsicle. 

They don't look the same. :) 

I made half of the recipe, which fit perfectly in my six small popsicle molds.

Ingredients: 1 cup Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1 tablespoon honey, (additional sweetener as needed.)

Directions: Blend ingredients together. The consistency is very liquid (think smoothie drink consistency - I didn't expect that) Fill popsicle molds. Freeze.

The consistency of this popsicle is not creamy like I wanted. It's a very icy but flavorful popsicle. The Greek yogurt also contributed a slight bitter taste. I used plain, but I would recommend using Vanilla to contribute to the taste. I don't know what to do to make it more creamy... I wonder if I used slightly too many blueberries.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin