Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Thursday, September 12, 2013

How Dance Prepared Me to be a Fitness Instructor

I often reflect back to my days spent in various dance studios after school when I was younger. As much as I loved dancing (I even pursued a dance minor in college), I don't think I ever imagined myself doing something related to dance later in life. I had no plans to be a prima ballerina or dance with a professional team. I danced because I loved it and was kinda good at it (it's all relative :P).

I continued taking classes in college and got to participate in a variety of new styles of dance I hadn't done before. Hello ballroom. Hello clogging. Hello Irish dance. I had dozens of classes available to me at any time of the day and I took advantage of that opportunity.

When I graduated college, I no longer had that access to dance. I joined a local gym and started attending various fitness classes. Kickboxing, yoga, pump, and more. Eventually Zumba came along, and the format was a perfect fit for me. And here I am, years later, teaching Zumba and U-Jam, and plans to continue to expand into other formats in the future.

I recognize several things I learned through my dance training that transfer over to the world of fitness—both as an instructor and a participant.

Exercising in Groups is Fun & Motivating
Sure you can dance or workout alone. But when you do it with others, you will likely accomplish more and work harder. Make your workout an enjoyable experience. Let yourself learn from others. And let their strengths push you. If others can do those last 5 reps, so can you!

Mirroring can be Tricky (no concept of right left)
As an instructor I face the class and instruct via the concept of mirroring. So when I move my left arm, the class is moving their right arms. My first time mirroring was as a junior in high school on my new dance team after my family moved across the country. None of my teachers had used it before. I kept trying to switch the choreography and do exactly what the leader was doing. (When they did right, I wanted to do right too). Once I realized what I was expected to do, I understood, but it still took some getting used to to forget my left and right or the instructors left and right. Several of my students struggle with that, so I always share my experience so they relate.

Picking Up Choreography is a Learned Skill
I can't say how many routines I've learned in my lifetime, but the process of learning choreography is something that allows me to more quickly pick up new routines. When I attend a class as a student, I'm usually able to guess what they next move might be and recognize patterns when they appear in the moves. I encourage my students to recognize that this is a skill and takes practice, but that they will get better and better as they do it more. (And they do!)

Music Makes All the Difference
Music can speak to the soul. My most natural form of expression (along with writing) is dance, and music drives that expression. Sometimes music hypes us up and gives us the energy we thought we were lacking. It can motivate us to work harder and stay longer. It can inspire us and leave us leaving a workout happy and excited about life. Embrace that influence and use it for good.

Form Matters
"Tail down, stomach up." That's what one of my dance teachers always said. I'm thankful for my training in dance form to help me correct positions I see regularly in my students. A plie squat is foreign to many, as is the idea of opening the chest and reaching for the ceiling with the top of ones head, while relaxing the shoulder and neck. Some people have not had any exposure to these types of things, and they struggle with form a lot. Again, all it takes to improve is a little educational and instruction.

"Perfection" comes through Practice
You'll never come in and have a routine perfect the first time you learn it. Come to class again. You'll get better and better, and that routine will become easier and easier for you. As an instructor, the first time I teach a routine is never the best. I gauge my students to see what kind of instruction and cueing they best respond to, and I get better and better at teaching that routine. It's a two-way street. We all need practice.

There is Always More to Learn
This speaks for itself but is so true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin