Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

My Decision to Quit My Full-Time Job—Part 3

Recap: I left off after deciding that I would make the leap out on my own in April. For full details, check out Part 1 and Part 2 of this series. 

I'm the kind of person who needs to process all the different aspects of a decision (especially a big decision) to mentally prepare for it. I'm not an impulsive person. I like thinking things through and taking my time to kinda ease my way into things.

So when I decided on April, I needed that time to process everything. As I mentioned in Part 2, I was slightly worried this would be too long. But I set to work preparing. (And honestly, I didn't do as much preparation as I wanted.) The next several months included getting my finances in line (I didn't have any debt but wanted to save some more money and get some big purchases out of the way), strengthening my Zumba business/income, exploring other career opportunities, and increasing my focus on my own business.

If you have read my blog over the last several years (previously at skariann.blogspot.com), you've probably read me mention Ramit Sethi of "I Will Teach You to be Rich." About 3 years ago I purchased his online course called Earn 1K that focuses on helping you building a side income. I started working on several of the exercises through that program to help put me in the right mindset for going out on my own. This included organizing and recognizing exactly what my business service is and who my target audience is. I reached out to potential clients and started building my network of leads.

A major aspect of my final decision to quit dealt with my Zumba business. I love teaching Zumba, and these classes are always the highlight of my day. When I first got started, I had a hard time actually making money from this, and honestly that wasn't my focus. Zumba was a side hobby for me and I never even looked at what it was bringing in financially. As long as I wasn't in the negative, I was fine. But the past year had opened up more and more opportunities that lead me to making money with this fun, little hobby of mine.

During the months leading up to my decision to quit my job, I started weening out the Zumba opportunities that didn't pay out enough to be worth my time. I even started teaching at a new place but had to leave that behind when I didn't get enough support from the owner who brought me on. I had to develop the mindset of being aware of my time and its worth. I also started working at the fantastic new facility in Provo.

I even interviewed for several other positions with various organizations. I knew that I didn't really WANT to postpone my desire to start my own business, but I went through a couple days where I just sent my resume for a dozen job listings. And I was surprised at how big of a response I got. I turned down a couple requests for interviews. I turned down a job offer. Part of me wondered why I had even looked at job listings, but this part of the process was another confirmation that even if everything failed miserably, I could always get another job. The option to go back to a traditional job is always there. 

Then, April came. I mentally pushed my deadline back to the end of April.

May came. May continued. And the end of the month approached. Those I had asked to follow up with me for accountability gently inquired about my plans.

I started feeling the pressure. I NEEDED to do this.

An opportunity came up to sub a Zumba class during the day for a couple weeks. I took it. Another opportunity to sub someone's class starting in a month
during their maternity leave for a couple months came up. I took it. And finally, the opportunity to start teaching Zumba Kids (which I had certified in but never taught) opened. I knew I wanted to do it. Taking on this class would require me to teach 1-2 classes during the day twice a week. This, combined with the other opportunities and my desire to have some resemblance of a life outside of work, was the final push for me to take initiative and move forward on my decision.

I went to talk to my supervisor. This was right around the end of May/beginning of June. I told her about these opportunities and that I felt that I had to take advantage of them. We discussed some options and decided to potential move toward me working part time and bring on someone else part time to eventually take completely over. In my head, I knew this option was a baby step for me to go completely on my own. At this point I was fine with the slow transition. However—and I told her this—if things didn't work out, I knew the alternative was just the kick in the bum I'd need to MAKE me move forward. My supervisor took this part-time option to her boss and a couple days later told me that he didn't think the part-time option would work for my position. I said OK, and we set my last day two weeks out.

Over those two weeks I saw multiple confirmations that I had made the right decision. Opportunities I had previously pursued suddenly showed up in my life again. I was reminded that jobs are jobs. That I am talented, hard-working, and have great experience under my belt. Those types of confirmations are incredibly beneficial in times like this.

I worked hard those last couple weeks to get everything order and leave everything in the best order possible for the next communications director to come along. I helped review resumes and provide feedback after the interviews. I got all my materials together and, while I was sad to leave that great work environment behind, knew that I was making a good decision for me. Even though I was closing a door and jumping out a window, I knew there was a parachute waiting for me. A parachute I had made and prepared for just this scenario. It was waiting for me and all I needed to do was summon some courage, take the leap, and pull the string.

Next came Annesali.

1 comment:

  1. Crazy! I'm still in awe that you did this. You're doing awesome and I think you're story inspires people to go for their dreams no matter what.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin