Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

How to Use #Hashtags (Properly)

It started with Twitter, but you'll see it everywhere these days: Instagram, Pinterest, Google+, and—oh, oh—even Facebook. The hashtag. Oh wait, I meant the #hashtag. I already had most of this post outlined, but when Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake's Late Night skit exploded via social media this morning, I knew today was the day to post on this topic. (I'll also just say that I love Jimmy Fallon. I really do.)

I hope you enjoy the following video, which pokes fun at the current hashtag mania. And to throw my linguistic viewpoint out there, the practice of verbally saying "hashtag"in spoken conversation seems to have started in a comical, almost ironic usage but is actually becoming more common. Raise your hand if you've heard someone hashtag something verbally. Oh, and look at me using "hashtag" as a verb...


The video is funny. I can't get over "Hashtag I'm the real cookie monster. Hashtag Nom nom nom nom nom."

I've found it interesting that so many blog posts and articles reference the skit as a reason to stop using hashtags and why they are pointless or make us seem dumb.

I don't agree.

Don't get me wrong, I completely get that hashtags CAN be misused and CAN be quite annoying. Do a quick Google search on the top social media pet peeves, and hashtags are likely listed in every source.

But, hashtags DO play a very powerful role in the social media world. They are a great tool when used correctly. So take a quick read below and stop performing hashtag faux pas. (Full disclosure, I also misus hashtags.)

Understand Hashtags:
If you know why people are supposed to use hashtags, you'll understand how YOU can and should use hashtags.

Hashtags are used to organize information. Using a certain hashtag allows people who might not see your original pin, tweet, or post, to find it later. Specifically when they are interested in the topic associated with that hashtag.

Use Sparingly To Categorize Your Posts:
Hashtags are super powerful for businesses, events, or even social trends. If you want more exposure to your posts, choose one or two categories to hashtag.

DON'T OVERDO OR ABUSE THE SYSTEM. Don't use a hashtag your post is not related to. Don't go crazy. And don't be the person who hashtags every word. A single word does not always classify as a category. Which brings me to my next point.

Use the Hashtag Within The Text:
You can typically tell if you are overusing hashtags if you have to clump them all together at the end of your post. Say you have a vegetarian recipe you tried and would like to share. Instead of following your post with things like "#vegetarian #recipe #spinach #mushrooms #yumyum #icantgetenough." Try incorporating that in your text. Maybe use "I just tried this #vegetarian black bean enchilada #recipe."

Have a Reason to Use a Hashtag:
I support being creative and making your hashtag usage your own. For example, I personally tend to post a lot of feet pictures via Instagram and use #theplacesmyfeethavebeen to organize those photos together. I also use #siblingtime for posts related to activities with my brother or sisters. And there are others. But the point is, I use those hashtags to help me organize my social media activity. My purpose is organization. (Yes, I am the type who looks back over my past activity.)

Only Use a Hashtag That Could Be Used More Than Once
There is no point to using a hashtag that you or anyone else will NEVER use again. There just isn't. So don't do it.

Don't Hashtag Your Whole Caption
Most likely you can't use that whole caption again, but this faux pas happens enough that it needs to be addressed separately. Again, just don't do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin