Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

An App You Should Get: Google Keep

The time has come. I'd like to introduce you to Google Keep and tell you why you should use this new Google product.

Google Keep was announced in March and made available to smart phone users in the following months. I have personally been using Keep for a little over a month. I admit, I was skeptically at first. I currently use Evernote, Dropbox, Google Drive, Tasks, Pinterest, Blogger, and even Gmail drafts as options for saving and storing information. I wasn't sure if there was a place for another program in my life. I've been trying to streamline where I store information and figured Keep would prove to be just another distraction. That is not the case. I currently choose Keep above every other option. And let me say, Keep is actually an entirely different tool. Keep is a tool I use each and every day to stay organized, record random thoughts or ideas, manage a to-do list or shopping list, save recipes on the go, and many other things. I use Evernote as a more long-term database for a lot of information and records. For any overlap between Keep and the other tools I listed above, well I think Keep is a much better option.



Things I Like About Google Keep

Android Widget
I love the widget on my Samsung Galaxy S3. It allows me to easily scroll through my past notes or quickly add a new one. I can also attach photos and add to existing notes. This is all available right now my screen. I love being able to see it all right there.

Syncs to Google Drive/Other Devices
Anything I type on my phone, tablet, or computer will sync to my other devices. So I have access to that information no matter where I am. Like other Google products (Hello, Gmail), you can archive notes but still search for them. All notes are organized into your Google Drive, plus Keep even has an offline options. (For example, I have written blog posts on my computer while I'm without internet access. Those posts sync once I'm reconnected.)

Photo/Voice Notes
Your notes can be composed of photo or voice. Or both. That's great.

Checklists
Yes, checklists. I love my checklists. This is actually a feature I didn't find until recently. Ok this week. I had actually found myself thinking, "Man, I wish I could make checklists with Keep." And magically, I seemed to find the feature. It's the best thing ever. I currently make a checklist each day. And have a checklist for each week. And have a checklist for the month. I love it.

Reminders
You can attach a reminder/alarm to any note. You will receive a notification or alert via Google Now. This stuff is cool.

Customize Options
Pick the colors you want, rearrange the notes how you'd like. Make this app your own. Use it to simplify your life.

I suggest downloading Google Keep now and putting the widget on your home screen (or a main screen...). Make it an option and explore how you can use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin