Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Friday, July 26, 2013

What language do the Despicable Me minions speak?

Who loves the Despicable Me minions? For most people I know the highlight of Despicable Me 2 was the increased presence of the minions throughout the movie.


I loved Despicable Me when I first saw it and definitely enjoyed the second movie. And we all know I love language, so I'd be just the kind of person to find interest in this post by Grammar Girl: "Do the Minions Speak a Real Language?"

I actually don't think I would have thought about this on my own. But turns out, it's quite common to form an actual language for movies (Avatar, Star Trek, Land of the Lost).

Apparently the firm's directors call the "language" Minionese and while most of what the minions say is gibberish, the directors did include real words from a variety of languages to give it a real-sounding edge.

Have you heard these English words in the movies? OK, potato, idiot, or what? Grammar Girl also shares that "ba-boy" means "toy," "bi-do" means "I'm sorry," and "la boda" means "marriage."

Perhaps the best part of Grammar Girl's article is the link to this translation of the Minion's dialogue in the closing credits. Here are some highlights:
"Plunger power!" 
"I'm gonna reach the back row with this baby." 
"I can hear Twilight in the next theater. Team Jacob rules!"  
"I am Gru. I have male pattern baldness."

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin