Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

3 Things I Love About Life Without a Full-Time Job

I've been thinking all day about what to post. Quite a few ideas have come and gone, and you'll likely see some of those ideas developed in future posts. I want to officially post about what I'm doing in life right now...I've said a little about it and alluded to a lot in my many recent posts, but made no official announcement. So that is my goal to do this week. 

For now, I just need to say that I've had a great day. Tuesdays and Thursdays are my long days since I teach 3 classes on Tuesdays and 4 classes on Thursdays. Sometimes that can seem daunting and draining. Today that was definitely not the case. I'm kinda loving most of life and feel very empowered and motivated. Here are three things I'm loving right now. 

Flexible schedule: Wow, can I say how nice it is not to be glued to a desk from 8 to 5 every day? Not that this is unexpected, but I'm pretty amazed about how rewarding it is to have that kind of flexibility. I'm not doing great at some elements of my schedule (I want to be up by 6 am, possibly at the gym...But I've only come close once), but overall I love how I've been able to spend my time...working on projects, hanging out at the library or other adopted work space, spending an hour at my home for lunch...or hanging around longer for laundry and dishes during the day. It's great. That's all I need to say.

Filling my time with passionate work: I love teaching my Zumba classes and I LOVE that teaching them doesn't wear me out anymore. Sure, I may be teaching more classes now, but I'm not piling them onto a full-time job. My classes always energized me, but my day job always drained me. So after a day at work and teaching maybe 2 class in one day, I would crash at the end of the day. I loved my job, but I needed to fill my time with activities that really energized me. Now I can teach 4 classes in a day and love every minute of it. PLUS, I have the flexibility to use my down time more effectively. (For example, I tote along my laptop to my classes and afterwards I can shower off and set right to work wherever I am.)

Exploring new opportunities: I'm a fan of routine, sure, but there's something about being OUT of a routine that inspires and motivates me. I've already been looking into different opportunities that I would not even be able to consider if I were working fulltime. This experience is a reminder to me to always be exploring new things and going after what I really want to do. I've spent 3 years at each of my last two jobs and could have made a leap a little sooner in each situation. (Again, I want to emphasize that I really do love and appreciate the opportunities I've had. Truly. This last decision was a very difficult one.) 


Today, I'm ended my day working on a contract project. I finished my last class around 7 p.m., showered, made a protein shake, and headed out wearing comfy leggings, my favorite sweater, and sandals. And it was a cool, cloudy (almost rainy) evening—the kind of evening I love.  Now I'll pull out my pink lady apple and laughing cow cheese (they are amazing together) and continue loving my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin