Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Monday, July 29, 2013

Motivation Monday: Be Bold & Make the First Incisive Stroke

Wow, I love this quote:

"Don't stare at the blank page for too long. Be bold and make the first incisive stroke. The rest will come naturally." - James Kingman

I selected this quote for Motivation Monday this week because, yes, it speaks to me. It speaks to me as a designer. It speaks to me as a writer. It speaks to me as a planning perfectionist. It speaks to me as an entrepreneur. It speaks to me as a person with goals. 
Every person operates differently, with their own personality and approach to life. These differences are what make life and our interactions with each other interesting. 

My typical operating style involves A LOT of planning. I think about things for a long time. I talk about things I'm considering and thinking about and discuss as many possibilities as possible. I try to keep an even head and don't rush into things very often, if ever. 

Sometimes I do this for too long. Sometimes I use my process as a crutch to keep from having to make a decision.

Sometimes I let my drive for perfection keep me from moving forward for fear that I'll make a mistake. 

Sometimes I just need to DO SOMETHING to get the process moving. 

The first stroke...the first step...the first decision...doesn't always have to seem so daunting. It's just the FIRST thing. Without that first stroke, there will never be a second, third, or 30th stroke. Without that first stroke, we can never get where we want to be. We can never accomplish our goals. 

So do it. Be bold. And let the rest come naturally. 

1 comment:

  1. Karie - Just checked your blog and saw a million new post- I got behind with mom here. I haven't read them all but my favorite thus far is the workout pant one! I especially like the pictures - there is something "mckayesk" about them that makes me smile. Thanks for making my day

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin