Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Let's Talk About Exercise Capris

Yesterday I had to do laundry. And by "had to," I mean that almost all of my exercise clothes were dirty, and I would not have anything to wear to my next class. Seriously, if I didn't work out, I would never do laundry. Well maybe I would, but right now I usually have only 2 or 3 "regular clothes" items in my weekly load.

I have a little bit of a process when I fold laundry. I realized yesterday that I first go through the clean clothes and separate them into sections. For example, I make a pile for all the items that need to hang on hangers, a pile for exercise tops, a pile for exercise pants, a pile for socks, a pile for sports bras, a pile for "regular" pants, etc. 

Well, I realized my pile for exercise capris in usually quite large. 10 pairs yesterday! 

I love a good exercise capri and DEFINITELY have favorites. What do I look for? Thick but breathable material (that is not see through when you do, say, a squat), comfortable compression, quick-drying, wide and high waistband, fitted on the leg (no flare please!), doesn't slide down. I usually opt for a solid black option because it's most flattering, goes with everything, and isn't too noticeable if I wear a lot (after washing, of course). 

I know I'm not the only one who has purchased a new pair of pants for my workouts only to find out they do. not. work. So here are my top 2 recommendations. 

No. 1: Old Navy Compression

Right now, my Old Navy Active Compression capris are by far my favorite. I seriously love them and SERIOUSLY LOVE that they were just $15. I just looked online, and these exact pants aren't in the Old Navy store anymore (NO!!!), but the closest option is the compression capri with mesh. I just might have to try those. These compression capris might be the same too...but in different fabric/colors. 

What I like: The thick waistband and that it hits me right under my belly button (I like these things high ya'll) The compression is the perfect amount. I also love the seams (see pic). The seam isn't on the side (there's kinda a side panel up the leg), but this seam is about a third of the way in on my leg. This is a super flattering cut that I love. The seams are also all smooth and flat and make for a comfy pair of pants.

Overall these are great pants at a great price. And they are super easy to find at your local Old Navy. (Although I'm slightly concerned that this exact pair is no longer online.) 

No. 2: The Girls Basic Capri

Before I discovered my Old Navy capris (only 1-2 months ago), I had not found a pair of workout pants I liked nearly as much as my favorite The Girls brand. Here's the story with these. I found a pair of black capris at a discount store for around $15 and FELL IN LOVE. The only problem was that I could not find the same pants anywhere. I searched for months. Nothing. I eventually found the company online. (This was before I knew the company's official name and such.) I ordered a pair of the Tummy Control Capri Pant online (around $30 plus shipping) before I eventually found the local spot to find the brand—T.J. Maxx. They don't always have exactly what I like, but I've gotten used to browsing through the workout pants if I stop by. 
I can not tell you how many pairs of these I've worn out over the years. I've probably had 5-6 of them. When they get worn a lot, little holes eventually appear by the seams. 

The Girls are know for the thick blue waistband known as its Blu-Tec Control System. I like this because I know they are secure on my waist, and I don't worry about them sliding down mid workout. The material is more of a cotton spandex, so I usually opt to wear these for my less sweaty workouts. I also have the full length slim pant which I wear as leggings in the winter a lot with boots and tunic type of tops. These have a thick material and work great for that. The major con with this brand is that they are hard to find other than online.


The Others

I also regularly wear my Zumba capris, but they are hard to recommend because the sizing and material changes so often. Plus I'm kinda over with having "ZUMBA" plastered over all my workout clothes.

My Fila Running capris are fun (can you see the slight Zebra print detail) and have some great pockets. But the material isn't as fitted as I like, and I think I probably should have sized down to a S. (I purchased these online from Kohls and probably wouldn't have got them from the store...but they are fun and do the job.)

The pink waistband pair is moisture wicking, but I've worn them so much that the brand work off (thank you no tags) and they are a bit see through. But I do love the small back pocket.

And finally the Xersion capris from J.C. Penney. I got these for like $10 bucks but have only worn them a couple times for workouts. I'm not a fan of piping all over my legs plus the fit me a little lower on my waist than I like. That said, I LOVE the Xersion workout tops (like these). I love the workout tanks. I have like 4 tops that I got for less than $5...I order them large and then fit them as I like. (I don't like tight workout tops.)  I'm wearing one with the Old Navy capris above. 


  






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin