Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Popcorn Games

Last night was one of the nights that highlighted how awesome marriage is. For me, it was one of the evenings that I'd daydream about when my single self imagined everything I hoped my future marriage would be. And because of that, I had to document it. Because when times get tough, mundane, or simply too routine, I want to remember this experience and do whatever I need to do to recreate it, in some way.

For last night, all credit goes to Jake.

Jake stopped home for dinner but then went back to work for a few more hours. This meant I put Emerson to bed and did all my winding down and nighttime stuff alone. By the time Jake returned, I was in bed, with contacts out and glasses on, makeup off and face washed, browsing my phone and thinking about reading for a bit before I fell asleep. (I do have to mention that Jake didn't come home WAY late; we simply usually go to bed really early. :P)


Anyways, I greeted Jake when he walked in and started getting ready for bed. After a little chit chat, he said he was going to get a snack before bed. A few minutes later he walks in with a couple frozen lemonades (one for me!) and a bowl of popcorn. He asks if I want to play a game.

Recently we've been playing a game or two of Rummikub at night so I thought he was talking about that. I said, "Sure!"

But that wasn't what Jake had in mind. His game revolved entirely around the bowl of popcorn. And for the next half hour, maybe forty-five minutes, maybe even an hour, one game evolved into another, another, and then another. First, a popcorn version of pick-up sticks. Then some evolved rules. Then how many pieces can you get to stick on your tongue. Then a series of catch the popcorn in your mouth.

All of these games were extremely silly, and to be honest, slightly gross. (Something about wet popcorn...) But both Jake and I were laughing sooo hard the entire time. I was pretty sure we were going to wake Emerson, but that kid sleeps through anything.

This spontaneous, random game reminded me how much I love Jake and how lucky I am to be married to my best friend. Sometimes we get so focused on our to-do lists and day-to-day activities that we forget to let loose and spend some time simply enjoying being around each other. It reminds me how important it is to continue dating your spouse and to take time to have a little bit of random fun.

Thank you Jake for a memorable evening. And yes, I'm pretty easy to please.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin