Saturday, July 9, 2016

I'm Thankful for...Jake!

I mentioned doing a gratitude series a couple months ago in this post, so here I am. Today on this lovely Saturday afternoon, I want to take a minute to talk about my awesome husband and best friend.

As I type, Emerson is taking a nap (and probably waking up soon), I've got two loads of laundry in progress (plus I already folded and put away a couple), I'm half watching, half listening to "How I Met Your Mother," and I've got nail polish drying on my toes. And I'm procrastinating doing the dishes and some kitchen cleaning.

Jake?

Jake is working. Well, flying to be more accurate. He's likely landing soon and will then discuss the flight with his instructor and maybe, just maybe, he'll be home by dinner time. On a Saturday. By the time he makes it home, he will only have one flight left in this year-long training program we've been in Pensacola for.

Seeing Jake complete this training program has shown me so many amazing things about him. For one, Jake is so incredibly hard working. He is often the first to arrive and the last to leave. We discussed schedule stuff multiple times this year and agreed that, even when he has flexibility in his schedule, we'd plan on him doing at least a normal 8-5 work day. Jake likes to be prepared and wants to put in his all every day.

Now one thing about Jake is that he never saw himself being in this particular career at any point. He's the back seater in the plane and kinda randomly found himself in this position. (And that's how things work in the military.) Lots of the people in his program have wanted to be pilots their whole lives or to have any job in a plane. Lots of his fellow trainees are, mmm, better suited to this field than he is. That said, Jake is eager to learn and puts his ALL in everything he does. Nothing in this program comes naturally to him. And to be honest, he has struggled. Last winter, he wasn't sure if he wanted to continue in the program; he wasn't enjoying it and thought that he'd be happier and perform better in a different field.

But Jake continues to amaze me. With all that in mind, Jake has placed in the top third of his class in both sections of his training. (They rank you by top third, middle third, bottom third, and leave the specifics beyond that private.) To me, that says sooo much about Jake. He is willing to let his vulnerabilities show. He's willing to put himself out there and to push himself beyond what he naturally is comfortable with. He struggles at first (because, hey, this is all new to him), but doesn't stop working, studying, practicing, planning. And in the end, he pushes through, improves, and is able to perform well.

And to be honest, he does all that for me and Emerson. I know that like he's shown throughout this training, he will continue to do everything and anything to provide for our family—wherever and however that unfolds in the future. I'm so grateful he does what he does. I'm grateful for his tenaciousness. I'm grateful that he is ALWAYS aware of the big picture, planning for the future and working for his goals.

Serious stuff aside, I have to say how thankful I am for a best friend/husband who I can laugh and be silly with. Almost every night ends with us laughing as we talk and joke before falling asleep. (I'll have to post about our 8 pm bedtime another time...)  He is the one who gets me, and I'm the one who gets to see every serious, goofy, sensitive, loving, sweet, hilarious side of him. (And yes, we both tell jokes that only the other would laugh at.)

Jake is the best dad to Emerson; this I knew would be the case long before we were parents ourselves. He's creative, kind, and loves to spend time with our little guy. I forget that he doesn't get to spend as much time with Emerson as I do (and who knows how future deployments will affect that), but on multiple occasions I've been holding or playing with Emerson, and Jake says something like "Can I hold him? I haven't seen him at all today." Like whaa? Of course, love.

All in all. I love Jake. He's my best friend. He's the only person I want to see each and every day. The one I get to put my cold feet on when the bed is freezing. I'm grateful for his sensitivity and huge heart. I'm grateful that he wants to know everything about anything he does. I'm grateful he wants to provide for our family. I'm thankful he supports me in everything I do. He's my partner, and I'm so proud of him.

This is legitimately the first picture we took together...back when I had dark hair.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin