Monday, July 18, 2016

I'm Thankful for...Emerson

Emerson. Ah. Of course he needed to be next in my recent gratitude series.
That little guy is my favorite. I just can't get enough of his cute toothless smile, curious eyes, and of course, those chubby legs. I find myself holding him for much longer than needed after his nighttime feeding when he typically falls asleep in my arms. I just can't get enough of his cuddles and love.

Let me share a moment I had in the hospital room the day after Emerson was born. Now, you may know I didn't have a perfectly smooth pregnancy. Actually I DID have a really smooth first and second trimester but the third trimester wasn't so smooth. (Blood clot, hospital stays, crutches, etc. Find more info here.) With that said, I know people have FAR, FAR worse experiences, and I was blessed to be able to return to activity and finish out my pregnancy.

In the hospital room, with pregnancy and delivery out of the way, Emerson was sleeping in his little crib. I looked over and just had the feeling that he was going to be a healthy, happy baby and that my biggest struggle, i.e. everything from the last part of my pregnancy, was behind me.

I don't think I really knew what that thought meant. But as I've now had six months to think about it, I understand a bit more and am so grateful for the blessing in my life that is my son Emerson.

First, Emerson's health. He has been a very healthy boy from the beginning. He had none of even the common minor newborn issues. He is also a great eater, which may show in his growing chubbiness.
Emerson is also the happiest, most content baby. He smiles all. day. long. He is an observer and is always happy to sit and watch whatever is going on. I can sit him next to me in the bathroom while I get ready, in the kitchen while I do dishes, or on the bed while I fold laundry. He is happy no matter what. I can count on one hand how many times he's cried for apparent "unhappiness." (The only other times he cries is if he's hungry.) I'm so grateful for his demeanor because it's allowed me to return to teaching fitness classes. I'm so grateful I can bring him around town with me and even have him hang out with us during class.

As he gets a little older, he seems to get even more happy. He has a look of joy in his eyes that accompanies his adorable smile. Recently, as I've been playing with him or holding him, I find myself thinking a year or two in the future when Jake is deployed and gone for a while. I know Emerson will be my rock during those times. He will be my little buddy who is a constant reminder to be happy and look for the positive in everything. It's crazy how he's already doing that.

I'm also so grateful that Emerson is a great sleeper, both at night and during naps. Like how did I get so lucky? I've mentioned recently in my "Five Things I Thought BEFORE Having My Baby" that we don't have a regular nap schedule. Emerson is such a flexible dude who goes with the flow, which has proven to be so necessary with my crazy schedule. Before he was even 2 months, he was sleeping 10-12 hours at night. Since then, he's had his ups and downs at night, but eventually returns to his 12 hour routine (7pm-7am ish). And even during his "bad" nights, he would only wake up once, maaaybbee twice, before he quickly falls back to sleep. His naps during the day average 2-3 hours and that's usually with me waking him up either to leave the house or so he has enough awake time before bedtime. He will sleep in the car, in his crib, in his mamaroo, in the bed with us, in the pack 'n play. He is not picky.

All in all, I'm so blessed to even have the opportunity to be a mom, not to mention being a mom to such a perfect-for-me baby. (I don't quite identify as "a mom" yet, but that's a topic for another day.) Emerson has made the transition to motherhood practically seamless and so enjoyable. I feel so lucky to have a happy, content, chubby, and loving baby who loves to eat and loves to sleep. And I'm grateful I get to continue seeing Emerson grow and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin