Monday, July 11, 2016

Motivation Monday: Live in the Now

Living in the now. It's a concept that seems simple but is a lot harder than one might think.

Download High Res version here!
As of this morning, Jake officially passed his final flight in his training program for the Air Force. He has a few more weeks of academics, but we will find out his next assignment in less than five weeks, followed by his graduation, and a whirlwind of things that ultimately lead to us moving to wherever the Air Force sends us next.

The point of all that is that here in Pensacola, we are only a few months (weeks maybe?) away from an upcoming PCS (military lingo for "permanent change of station"). This beach town has been the Ortiz home for more than a year now, but in many ways we seem to just starting to settle in. (Story of military life, right?)

Typically at this point prior to big change, I tend to set cruise control on my life and ride out the remaining time until I move/graduate/get married/switch jobs, etc.

A few weeks ago the studio owner where I teach asked if I wanted to put together a barre fitness class. The first thing I thought was, well, I'm moving soon. But I decided to say, why not? Barre has been on my radar as the next class I want to teach, but I've put it off. So she and I proceeded forward in planning and putting a class in the schedule. I officially taught the first class last week and now will be doing two classes a week through... whenever.

Now taking on something new this close to a move is not something I would typically think about doing. But it's been a great exercise for me. Even if I teach this new format less than two months before moving, I have a new skill and class plan to take with me.

As an opposing example, when I was in 10th grade my family was planning a move across the country. My dad moved first while we kids stayed behind with my mom while we sold the house. Well, a couple months turned into eight, nine, ten months. (I'll be honest, I don't remember the exact timeline or plan.) But this is around the same time the olympics were taking place in the state. Because we thought we'd be gone long before that event, I turned down many free tickets and opportunities to attend.

Seasoned military families are probably much more skilled at "living in the now," so I know I've got a lot to learn. There seems to be a fine line in wasting resources and embracing opportunities as they come. But right now I'm focusing on the now, not getting too far ahead of myself, and continuing to live day by day in the best way I can.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog Karianne. Your post about Jake was so cute!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin