Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Don't Be the Annoying Person in the Group

If you are in many Facebook groups, I'm betting you know the person I'm talking about.

The one who uses the group as his or her own wall.

The one who posts three times as much as anyone else.

The one you want someone to have a talking to about the purpose of the group.

The one who doesn't seem to understand the scope (big or small) of the group.

I'm in my fair share of groups. Some of these are social/informational groups for various church groups I'm a member of. Some of these are for sharing ideas for teaching or choreography. Some of these are certain groups of friends interested in particular activities. Some of these are for the fitness instructors at a certain facility.

I love groups. I think they are super useful and help streamline where to find information and don't necessarily clog your feed.

But there are certain people...

For example...and now that I think about it I think the most abused groups of mine are those related to my fitness classes.

Anyway...for example, an instructor might post in a general instructor page about needing a substitute at a specific location where the sub MUST be on the payroll. This bugs me for two reasons. 1) Such a post that is only applicable to a small population should only be shared with that small population. That post belongs in a group for JUST that facility's instructors. 2) If no such group exists, the post belongs on that person's personal page. It is far more likely that she is personally friends with those people than finding those maybe 10 instructors among a group of 1,000.

Does that make sense?

My other favorite person is the one who just randomly posts quotes, pictures, or promotions for personal events. All the time. Sorry dude, I know you don't have as many friends as there are people in this group, but that stuff belongs on your wall.

Sometimes I just want to sit these people down to say, for example, "Hun, this page is for instructors to find subs, discuss schedules, share announcements, and coordinate events for the facility. Your daily motivational quotes and articles are great, but try posting them on your own wall rather than forcing everyone to weed through them to find content we actually need."

Looks like this post turned a bit into a rant. Sorry about that.

This whole post is reminding me of this skit by Studio C so check it out. 


What Facebook pet peeves do you have?

1 comment:

  1. Oh goodness, we have one of these people in our Relief Society group. While you are welcome to post whatever, she posts EVERYthing! Not just specific things that seem carefully selected & it's multiple things a day. Scrolling through I see recipes, library events, garage sales, employment opportunities (all fine, if there weren't so many of them!) but then, where to sell junk cars, how to eat applesauce cups without a spoon & a kayak for sale at Goodwill. Now that I think about it, it's been a few weeks since she posted. I wonder if she got a talking-to :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin