Friday, June 28, 2013

So long, Google Reader

I feel as though I am losing a close friend. Pretty much every person in the blogging world knows that Google Reader will no longer be available after July 1, 2013—which means come Monday morning, my go-to source for following blogs and news feeds will be gone. Gone. Gone. Gone.

Aw, now I'm getting all nostalgic. Anyone remember the post I wrote in 2009 (WHAT??) about using Google Reader and setting up your subscriptions? Good times.

When Google made the announcement of Reader's demise back in March, I quickly started researching what I'd use as a replacement for Google Reader.

Admittedly, I didn't get very far and have been operating these last several months in complete denial. Until that lovely popup showed again last week.

Here are some articles I've skimmed: 8 Google Reader Alternatives, Google Reader Alternatives: What's the Best Replacement, Google Reader is going away, but here are some options to replace it, the ReplaceReader.com poll for favorite programs, 6 Feed Readers to Replace the Google Reader Void, and Turns Out Google's Reader Replacement is Pretty Much Useless.

Some of the most popular suggestions are FeedlyThe Old Reader, NewsBlur, Bloglines, PulseDiggMy Yahoo, and, the program getting the most hype for the bloggers: Bloglovin.

I've already imported my data to Bloglovin but actually loved what I saw on Bloglines and will be looking into that program a bit more.

Come back Saturday morning for some last minute tips to transfer your Google Reader info to the new program of your choice. Next week I'll also explore some of the features of Bloglovin and probably Bloglines.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin