Saturday, October 17, 2015

Hello Blood Clot: At Home

I ramble a lot guys. I apologize for the excessive length of this post. It mostly serves as my personal documentation of my increasing pain and what led me to see the doctor. My next post will share more details about what's going on and what it means moving forward at this point. 

27 weeks.

Jake had Monday off for Columbus Day so we had decided to FINALLY visit the beautiful Pensacola Beach that morning. I don't remember exactly when I started feeling discomfort but I do remember loving the water for many reasons but most especially because my hip and back didn't ache while swimming.


So I think things started Monday morning. I attributed anything I felt to normal pregnancy stuff. Really it started very minor with some slight left hip and lower back pain. Since my belly had become more prominent in the last couple weeks, these things seemed like normal adjustments to the increased weight and alignment changes.

Monday evening I headed out for errands and after returning home told Jake that it felt good to move and that walking around helped my discomfort fade. That evening Jake was kind enough to give me a mini massage in some sensitive areas and rub some Doterra Deep Blue on my legs and back.

By Wednesday the discomfort had increased but was still bearable. I woke up sore and tried some foam rolling to ease out my leg and back. I usually walk 3 miles with some friends MWF, but was already feeling slower and ended up only doing 1.5-2 miles.

Thursday morning I woke up a couple hours earlier than Jake not being able to fall back to sleep or get comfortable. My hip pain seemed to be more intense and spreading down the front of my leg. At this point, my back didn't hurt much anymore, but my leg was increasingly unbearable. I had trouble moving from my bed to the couch and may have been whimpering a bit as Jake got ready for the day (:P). Before he left that morning, he made me promise to all the Nurse Hotline to see what I could do or if I needed to see someone.

After falling back asleep again, I woke up around 10 am and initially felt MUCH better. (Somehow I always tend to sleep better once Jake leaves the house.)

But then I tried to move (aka walk to the bathroom).

Immediately my pain was back. I called the Nurse Hotline and slowly walked around the house while going over my situation and symptoms with her. I was able to walk but was slow and uncomfortable. At the end of our conversation, she asked if I had taken anything for pain yet, to which I said I had not. (I'm not much of a medicine person even when not being pregnant.) She said at this point, I could probably still be treated at home. To take some Tylenol and the alternate between icing and heating my leg.

As I hung up the phone, I already felt disappointed. I think deep down I doubted those directions would do much for me. But I knew I at least had to try the advice. Problem: I didn't have Tylenol.

It was almost 11 am at this point, and I wanted to try the advice immediately so I'd know if I could teach my 5 pm Zumba class and/or so I'd know if I need to go to the doctor by the time Jake was done for the day. Despite not wanting to leave the house, I headed to my car to go to a little store nearby on base. I drive a manual car which was a bit tricky with my sore left leg but I made it work for that little two minute drive.

There aren't great parking options right by this little store and I made the mistake of parking in the farther lot. By the time I realized this mistake, I'd already walked too far to switch.

This walk to the store was very revealing to me. I had to stop a lot to let my leg rest and was struggling to hold back tears. But I made it to the store and quickly found the Tylenol I needed. I grabbed some Swedish Fish, Mambo's, and a too-expensive bottle of water as well. I knew I couldn't wait until I got home to take that medicine and needed water. When I was checking out, the lady asked if I was going to the movies. (The on-base movie theater is next door.) "No," I say. "I needed the Tylenol and just grabbed the others." And I'm pregnant. And in pain. And needed some pity treats.

I stopped at the bench outside the store entrance. I scrambled to tear open my medicine bottle and get that darn cotton swab out of the way. And then just sat there and wondered how I'd make it back to my car. I people watched for a minute and wondered if people would think it strange if I asked them to go get my car for me. Maybe drive me home. Instead I opened my Swedish Fish, had a couple bites, took a deep breath and started my what-seemed-to-be journey back to the car. I know I looked ridiculous limping along pregnant, in running shorts and Jake's oversized t-shirt, with my head down and trying not to cry. But I made it back to my car. And home. And inside. To my couch.

I sat down to rest and Jake arrived home for lunch a mere 10-15 minutes later. I told him about my trying excursion out and he wished I'd be able to ask him to pick it up for me. But Jake doesn't have phone access during the day and often doesn't come home for lunch until 1, sometimes later, if at all. He only had 20 minutes home and I was currently icing my leg. He got a bunch of snacks together for me, prepped my stuff for future heating and icing and insisted I only leave the couch for bathroom visits and discarding ice. My store visit had definitely opened my eyes to what I was capable of...I also arranged to cancel my Zumba class that evening.

I was able to take another nap but aside from feeling my leg numb from the ice, experienced no change in my pain. I took my second set of Tylenol as soon as allowed, so around 4 p.m. Jake got home a little after 5 p.m. and after talking with him, I called the Nurse Hotline again.

It was during this phone call (and with Jake's eyes helping) that I noticed that my left leg was a bit swollen and a different color. Jake and I were getting ready to head to the hospital even while talking to the nurse, and luckily they also confirmed that I needed to go in within the next 8 hours. Jake was starving and I hadn't eaten much of substance so we stopped at Chick-fila and got some food to eat on the way to Labor & Delivery. I think we got there by 5:30pm.

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin