Thursday, September 11, 2014

My Military Man

This morning Jake woke up around 7 a.m. and proceeded to get ready for the day. Before I was able to crawl out of bed and put my contacts in, Jake was almost completely ready and wearing his Air Force service dress. Jake gave me a hug and left for his busy day.

His ROTC program at BYU has spent the past several weeks organizing events commemorating Sept. 11 on campus, and Jake is involved in several aspects including all public affairs. Let's just say this has been a busy week.

Today is a notable one for all of us. How have 13 years already passed since that unforgettable day in 2001? Like most people, I remember where I was, what happened in my life at school and home, and many of my feelings and worries.

I've read so many wonderful and touching posts of remembrance today, and I'm thankful for the opportunity to express gratitude for my life, blessings, and freedoms. And of course, I've thought more and more about Jake and the sacrifices he signed up for not only this week, but for the next several years of his Air Force career.

I never imagined a military life for myself. Finishing high school in the Washington, D.C. area, my social circles included several kids from military families. We'd occasionally head to the nearest military base, with 1 to 1 military to civilian IDs, to watch movies at the on-base theater or the such. But living a military life was never something I connected with or thought I'd experience.

Those men, women, and families make incredible sacrifices to serve their country and stand for principles they value and hold dear. Jake has offered me the opportunity to stand by his side as he follows his desire to serve and be a part of something bigger than himself. I am only beginning to have a glimpse of understanding of what that means and am trying to best prepare myself to better embrace everything it entails.

Jake has on several occasions shared his experience of turning to the Air Force. He served an LDS church mission in Nevada where he followed a disciplined schedule and dedicated himself to something he was passionate about. When he returned home and began working and attending school, he missed that sense of service, of importance, of greater meaning. After some deliberation, Jake found those things in the Air Force.

Military life isn't one I chose, but it is one that Jake chose. And today as I remember Sept. 11, I think more specifically about the service men and women past and present and all that they do. Of all that they have sacrificed and all that they work for. I thank Jake for his example and the opportunity to view my blessings and freedoms just a little differently.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin