Thursday, December 19, 2013

Happiness Comes in the Little Things

Today as I sat reading, working, and making my "the-holidays-are-approaching-quickly" to-do list, I noticed a sneaky smile had appeared on my face. I wasn't aware of a particular reason.

After a moment of reflection being by myself in this moment, I realized that hey—I'm happy. I'm working hard. I'm getting things done. I have great relationships with amazing people. I know who I am. I know where I want to be. And I can rely on my faith and relationship with my Heavenly Father to get there.

For me, happiness comes in the little things of everyday life. Today those little things include the following.

  • Looking at my nerdy Christmas tree sparkling in the corner...even though, yes, it is daytime.
  • A semi-clean apartment with dishes washed, floor swept, trash emptied, and bathroom wiped down.
  • A tired but healthy body that lets me push it to sometimes teach 5 classes in one day. And it keeps going day after day. 
  • Waking up tired and unsure how I'll be able to teach. And then finding my energy and thinking "Yep, I can do this!"
  • Amazing people who continue attending my classes. Who smile from the back row. Who know my choreography down flat from coming for 3 years or 3 months. Who make the whole teaching experience amazing and worth it.
  • Getting back in the habit of writing...and posting here! 
  • Touching base with friends. Even if it's a late-night visit, a quick Facebook message, a series of text messages, or a random chat online.
  • Cleaning out space in my life. This includes time space as well as physical space.
  • Having some extra cash in my pocket from selling things taking up physical space. 
  • The exciting prospect of vacuuming (Yes I know...) 
  • Waking up expecting bad roads and a frozen car...only to face pretty warm weather and a no-scraping morning. 
  • Feeling motivation to cook
  • Feeling on top of something I usually forget. (Uh, car registration anyone? Check my "Don't Forget Anything" post about doing this two months late last year.) I have an appointment tomorrow. 
  • Seeing and recognizing personal improvement
  • Knowing there have been, currently are, and will continue to be great people willing to reach out to me and welcome me into their lives
  • Acknowledging the amazing people I get to work with
  • Seeing blessing after blessing after blessing in my life
  • Feeling financially secure even months after leaving a full-time, salaried position with all the coveted benefits
  • Being able to encourage and advise people who are making decisions I have previously faced
  • Having great opportunities to serve 
  • Seeing the good, the special, and the unique greatness in those around me

That's just a start today. I need to actually proceed with my previously mentioned to-do list. I'm grateful for so much in my life. I'm grateful to be happy. I'm full of love today...I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin