Friday, March 29, 2013

Food for Fuel

I've been thinking a lot about food lately.

Wait, that's not that unusual...

But here's the difference. I've been really mindful of what I'm feeding my body and how it KEEPS ME GOING!

My body could definitely feel drained right now. I'm teaching about 6 Zumba classes a week (plus or minus 1 or 2 if I cancel or sub other classes.) That includes 2 classes on Wednesdays and 2 classes on Thursdays. Occasionally I get scheduled for 3 in one day. Add that to my full-time work schedule, plus everything else (ya know...life) and I could very easily break down. Emotionally, sure that happens from time to time. But I'm talking a physical break down.

I need fuel. Clean, healthy, good-for-you fuel. I've been focusing on making sure I eat vegetables, fruits, carbs when I need energy, protein when I need to rebuild, multivitamins, and lots of water. I've been listening to my body. Friends often make fun of me when I make food choices accompanied by a phrase like "I can tell my body needs some good protein right now."

I'm not dieting. But I'm also not really eating much sugar, fast food, random treats, and other heavy foods. And I feel better for it. People seem to have a negative association with anything that even remotely seems like restriction. The push for healthier lifestyles across the country helps with this, but those thoughts still exist.

After I finished my classes yesterday and was driving home, I passed a newly remodeled Wendy's. Part of me thought it would be fun to check out the new set up. (I'm weird like that where new things really intrigue me. I know it's just Wendy's. Haha.) But then I thought about how I'd feel if I did order a small hamburger. I thought of that heavy pit I'd have in my stomach. Eeeks, no thank you. Even though I was done for my classes that day, I knew my body would be recovering Friday and preparing for my Saturday morning class and everything else I need to do. With no further thought about it (really Wendy's was a passing 5-sec thought), I drove home and prepared myself a delicious peanut butter protein shake and a small turkey/cheese wrap. I still thoroughly enjoyed my little meal, felt full and replenished, AND knew my choice was the best for my body right then.

UPDATE: Random, but Cassey over at Blogilates.com posted today about this same concept as well. Food is fuel and when you have the wrong approach to food, you feel like you are a prisoner to a diet and ultimately fill yourself with disappointment and unrealistic expectations. When we change our perspective and focus on using food to help us FEEL GOOD and as FUEL to embrace our lives and lifestyles, THAT's when we'll be successful (and HAPPY) in and about making good food choices.

Check out her post: "Feeling So Guilty About Food."

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin